Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 5

Yesterday we began homeschooling. I don't have all the curriculum yet, but we have enough material to do Reading, Spelling, Science, and History. My goal is to do 3 days a week this summer and then 4 days a week during the school year. We're going to do year-round school this first year to allow for some flexibility with vacations, illness, field trips, and the normal hustle and bustle of every day life with 4 kids.

Keeping Elliott occupied while I am schooling the girls will be my biggest challenge, but he did pretty good yesterday. I have some toys/activities that he will only be able to play with during school time to hopefully keep him interested in them.

Here's the Curriculum we are using this year:
Math: Singapore Math
Science: Apologia Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day
Reading: BJU Press Grade 2
Language Arts: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind
History: Mystery of History Vol 1 and we're also reading the American Girl Doll Felicity series
Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears (Cursive Handwriting) for Julia
Phonics: Explode the Code for Kat
Spelling: Sequential Spelling
Typing: Typing Instructor for Kids
Latin: Songschool Latin


Reading Worksheets

 
I ordered this ant farm and the ants arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. The girls are keeping a journal where they have drawn an ant and labeled it, are writing facts they have learned about ants (love my ipad!), and writing down their observations. I have also ordered a book Mamaw Pat recommended called Chocolate-Covered Ants. They really are pretty interesting.... hopefully I can keep Elliott from letting them loose!


 The girls gave each other makeovers

Julia lost her 6th tooth! At least now she has symmetrical gaps.

1 comment:

aue1976 said...

i see that your school is pants optional!